Thursday, August 25, 2011

An update on school.

We've almost completed the third week of kindergarten. Last weekend, Amos figured out that last year's school (preschool) was shorter, thus becoming "short school." And his new school is "long school." He doesn't like long school, he doesn't like being away for that long and honestly, I don't like it either. I think the novelty has worn off for both of us and I am now questioning our decision and am even thinking of looking into homeschooling. I thought he was ready, we both did. But I can tell it's been hard for Amos to be away for so long and I wonder, why are we even doing this?
It's been a difficult week but today, his teacher sent home a note that said that after a few quiet moments this morning, he had a good day. Nathan and I have been resolute in how we talk about it with him, telling him that this is what we're doing right now and that even though it's tough, he'll get used to it.
I hate telling him that he has to go even if he doesn't want to. On the inside, I want to cry with him and tell him that I don't want him to be gone so long either. But we are going to see how it goes and if it gets better. I may still homeschool but for now, I am taking it a day at a time.

On a positive note, he is eating his lunch really well now. I give him half of a sandwich and some apple slices and that's all he has to eat for lunch. He's pretty hungry after school, but he's been doing really well with lunch and his teacher even lets him finish in class, if needed. Amos is always so excited to tell me about lunch when I pick him up in the afternoon, so it's exciting to see him get so jazzed.
Also, they are sending "book bags" home now from school. They are just ziplock bags with a few easy books in them. I think he's learning how to read by "reading" the one word on each page of the book. Tonight I even covered the picture and helped him read the word so that when he "read" the word, he got to look at the picture and see if he was right. The game was really fun and made reading the books easier. He seemed to be really motivated. I'm so excited for him. I'm sure he doesn't understand the full impact of what being able to read means, but I hope that he will be able to enjoy it soon!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Argh, that's so hard. I'm sorry it hasn't just been easy. The good news is, whatever you choose to do it will be ok and there is no perfect way to educate your child - there are pros and cons to home school, private school, and public school. That's what I told myself when I was stressed and trying to decide between public school and home school - it made me feel better because I think I kept feeling like "I have to figure out the perfect thing to do with school!"