Flannery is Irish, meaning red; russet or redhead; descendant of the red warrior.It was on St. Patrick's Day last year that I saw a link online for Irish baby names. Since we are a little bit Irish, I clicked on the link to see what names were there. One of the names was Flannery, a name that we briefly talked about shortly after we were married, and the name of one of our favorite short story writers, Flannery O'Connor.
When I saw that Flannery meant red or redhead, it made me think of the word redemption. I wondered if this meant that if we were to have another baby, that it would be a sort of redemption pregnancy, that things would work out and be normal. I mentioned this to Nathan and we both really loved the name and what it meant to us.
As we found out that I was pregnant and we hit every milestone with seeming health and normality, we wondered if I was pregnant with Flannery. When it came time to find out the gender, we went to our appointment with anticipation. The technician started out showing us our baby, their heart, brain and bones, and it helped me to connect with our baby as a person. I knew that I already loved them, no matter who they were. So when she showed us evidence of gender, we were ecstatic. We were so happy that it was Flannery, as we had no other name!
And again, as things progressed normally and healthily, I continued to remember what Flannery meant to us and our belief that God made a promise to us through her. And everytime I would start to worry about details or be anxious about her or her health, I would remember this promise and would feel better.
Her first middle name, Elizabeth is my middle name, and my dad's mother's middle name. Apparently it was also her grandmother's middle name, so it was important to us to continue that naming tradition.
Her second middle name, Susan, is my mom's name, which again, made it all the more special and fitting that my mom got to be at Flannery's birth and "catch" her.
And oddly enough, our little Flannery was born with strawberry blonde hair, making her name that much more fitting!
We are so thankful that this indeed was a redemption pregnancy--that we got to experience things normally and that she made it to full term and is healthy.
We're thankful for our red warrior and can't wait to see who she grows up to be!
2 comments:
Hi Sarah,
I found your blog through a comment on another blog (someone named Boothe I think? months back). I thought you had a thoughtful response to the post and so I clicked on your blog. I have been reluctant to leave a comment for fear of seeming weird. But I decided to just "go for it".
Anyway I am a SAHM of two sweet boys (almost 3 and 6 months). My husband is the Pastor of a small conservative Episcopal Church in Mass. I am originally from the South. We've been married 12 yrs and in N.E. for 6 years. It is a tough place to live, a diffucult culture to break into, so much hard heartedness. And so life often feels lonely. I have enjoyed "checking in" on your blog. You are such a thoughtful writer and attentive mom and have been a source of ancouragement to me.
Congratulations to you guys on the birth of your precious daughter. What an awesome testimony to God's faithfulness and provision. I will be praying for you all as you figure out life as a family of four. It is SO diffrent. Be patient with yourself. I still feel like I am trying to figure it all out. I have shed many tears and am more exhausted than ever, but so thankful for "where we are" in our lives.
Blessings,
Lauren Rodgers
I cant believe how awesome those cheeks are already! What a sweet girl! ANd of course, I love the name!
Post a Comment