Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Developing Amos

Today Amos had his first appointment with our Developmental Therapist. She came to our house and was really great. She brought a big bag of toys and let Amos look through and play with them. He enjoyed all of the new and educational toys and made fast friends with Hannah.
We talked about some our goals, including teaching Amos more words. She was able to teach him the "help" in "help, please" by signing the word and saying it. She said "Help, please" and Amos responded, "tseeess" and then she signed "Help" and said "Help, please" and Amos echoed it back. And for the rest of the morning, he said "help, please" which is a huge accomplishment. He's had a tougher time learning words that have soft consonant or vowel sounds at the beginning and this was an exciting development. After that, Amos practiced his cleaning up skills and got to play with Hannah more. We get to meet with her every week (that we're in town) and we are really excited to see what progress Amos makes.
Our other big step is weaning. I have officially stopped nursing Amos in the morning (which is the only time I nurse him now), and it's been pretty easy. Since I've been nursing very little, it has been barely painful and to help change up our routine, Amos and I get up and go directly downstairs instead of cuddling in bed for awhile. I do miss cuddling with him and am sad that that time is now over, but I am glad that it's going well and hope that it helps me lose some more weight (due to a potentially smaller appetite!).

No comments: