Sunday, March 16, 2008

On this, St Patty's Eve,

we find ourselves with a sick Amos. We're not sure what he's sick with, exactly and when he woke up today, he seemed to turn a corner. But after we took Nathan to church to practice for a special service tonight, he seemed to be feverish and I started to really worry. Many of the symptoms he has been showing (since 3 AM Saturday morning), including, vomiting (just once), irritability, loss of appetite and fever, are also symptoms of shunt malfunction, which just makes everything really scary.
So I called Nathan and asked him to come home, fearing the worst: that we would call the on-call neurosurgeon, end up in the ER and be there for a long time, getting MRI's and the works. The neurosurgeon talked with me for awhile and we determined that since he still was energetic and had only thrown up once, that he probably didn't have shunt failure, just a virus.
That was comforting and we set out to watch him for the rest of the night.
I gave him Tylenol shortly after that call and he seemed to perk right up. He ate half a sandwich and played with me for long time.
While we were playing, I noticed that Amos was pushing himself to stand up in the middle of the floor, not just pulling himself up on something. I was astounded! He did it two more times--and when I went to get the camera, he stopped. Oh well. It was still quite an achievement. He also pulled himself up onto my green chair in the corner and figured out how to look out the window at the cars, one of his favorite things to do. My chair was uncharted territory and he got up there in the blink of an eye!
Anyway, I hope he feels better soon. We may go to the DR tomorrow if he still has a fever. We also have an appointment with a Case Worker to apply for Medicaid, in hopes that the state will help us pay for our astronomical medical bills this winter (I'll explain later).
Tuesday we see our Neurosurgeon again (to check in), and Wednesday we have an appointment to see a therapist to have Amos evaluated for any delays and to possibly start therapy. A busy week, oh and it's Easter--a busy time for Nathan at church.
I'll try to update. Please keep us in your prayers!

1 comment:

Jesky 'Bera said...

oh, that sounds really stressful and scary. love you guys! we will be praying that he keeps feeling better, be thankful that he seems to be doing ok!