Tonight, Amos and I had a sweet time together.
Usually, Nathan is the one who manages Amos' bedtime routine. They do "snacks and stories", brush teeth, put pajamas on, pray and go to bed.
But tonight, Nathan had a meeting and so I was on Amos and Flannery bedtime duty. Thankfully, Flannery was so tired from her lack of naps today that she went right to sleep. That gave Amos and I time to hang out and we decided to read stories (instead of watch something) while he had his snack. He chose two books and the Bible. When we got to the Bible, I decided to read the story of Daniel. Amos has been really scared lately, afraid of monsters and other scary images. I wondered if reading the story of Daniel would help at all. We read it together and he wasn't scared by it (which was great!) and I got to apply it to him feeling scared being like Daniel being scared in the lions' den. It worked really well.
And then we read Jonah, and the funniest part was trying to explain how long Jonah was in the fish's belly. I told him that Jonah was having a time out, but that he was in there for three days..."The sun came up, it was breakfast time, lunch time, nap time, and dinner time and then the sun went down. Then the sun came up again and it was breakfast time, lunch time, nap time and then dinner time and then the sun went down again and then the sun came up AGAIN!!..." etc etc etc. By this time we were laughing at how long Jonah was in time out. I think Amos got the message. At the end of both stories, we talked about Jesus, coming to rescue and protect us, and loving us even though we do bad things. It warmed my heart.
We prayed and thanked God for many things.
And suddenly, we went off on a rabbit trail before you can catch up to him...we were praying and Amos wanted to hold hands like Wall-E and Eve do. Then he said, "Ok, wet's be wobots. Daddy is the daddy wobot, you are the mommy wobot, Baby Sister is the baby wobot and I am the boy wobot." Ok. done.
And then he said, "Do mommies go to work?" "Yes, they do," I answered. "To sing songs," he said. (Giggle) "Uh, sometimes. But they do other things too..." That was also a fun conversation to have.
By the end of it all, I was wishing that he could stay up and hang out with me and talk to me more. We were having the best time. And as I was coming down the stairs, it occured to me that God had answered Nathan's prayer at dinner: That I would have the grace, patience and energy to get through the night by myself. I was given all of that and more. It was such a gift to get to enjoy Amos. I hope to be able to stop and do this more often.
1 comment:
I love this story Sarah, thanks for sharing it. Its the small things that are mountain moving! What a sweet time....you'll never forget it.
Post a Comment