Saturday, August 14, 2010

Jumping on the bandwagon...

Well, we've done it: we've gone and bought ourselves a few days' supply of cloth diapers, FuzziBunz, to be exact.
I've always wanted to use cloth diapers with my kiddos. My mom used them on all five of us and I grew up changing my siblings' cloth diapers, with diaper pins!
But even though I wanted to use them, I was so overwhelmed by all of the options out there. When Amos was born, I was given a gift certificate to use a cloth diapering service and really enjoyed it. After it ran out, I tried to do it myself, but with moving and all, things didn't work out that way.
So this time around, I'm going to get into it again. It also helps that my sister, Bethany, has gone before me and figured it all out! She graciously lent me her stash of FuzziBunz and Pocket Change diapers and I've been using them with Flannery. These particular diapers are "pocket diapers" which means they have an insert that goes into the fleecy diaper cover and the covers have snaps!! NO PINS!! which makes it all a bit more simple.
My experience so far with using cloth diapers has been pretty good. It hasn't been as gross as one would think and it's been a bit more work to wash them, but once our new upstairs laundry room is in working order, things will be a bit easier!
Bethany did some looking for me on the internet and found this great sale on brand new FuzziBunz. We ordered 10 and we love them...they are super soft!!

My reasons for wanting to use cloth diapers are the usual financial and environmental reasons. But lately, I've found more reasons to use them:
--Disposable diapers contain trace amounts of the toxin Dioxin, which is a by-product of the bleaching of paper with chlorine. Dioxin is the most toxic of all cancer-linked chemicals and is banned in most countries except the U.S.
--Also, disposable diapers contain Sodium Polyacrylate, a type of super absorbent polymer. This stuff is the super absorbent stuff that absorbs urine and turns into a gel. It was also used in tampons but has been banned due to links of toxic shock syndrome.
--Thirdly, it has been found that scrotal temperature is increased in boys wearing disposable diapers which some studies suggest may lead to fertility issues later in life.
(The source of this info is from a handout I received from the Natural Living fair I went to last weekend, at our church. Each one of these claims has a reference...if you're curious, leave a comment. Check out www.toastybaby.com for more info...they are in the Indianapolis area).

And Bethany has done lots of research on the topic. Here are more posts on her blog about the whole thing.

I do know that cloth diapering is not for everyone and that it takes some time to figure out what you want to do and then, to get into the groove of making it happen. And if it is overwhelming to you, I *totally* understand. Let me know if I can help!

4 comments:

Sildah said...

Good for you! We LOVE our FBs. I just bought the next size up on craigslist for when Elanor grows out of the smalls.

Tricia said...

Yay for cloth diapers. :) I'm not a big fan of Fuzzibunz, but I know a lot of people who use them and like them. I do like how easy they are, though. :) We're prefold, snappi (no pins!) and covers users over here. You are right, there are so many options out there!

Hope you like them. I'm totally envious of the upstairs laundry you will be having. So nice!

Sarah H said...

Hooray for cloth diapers! They rock. And babies just look so darn CUTE in them. :)

I too grew up changing my little brother's diapers complete with pins. I worked in the church nursery all through jr high and high school, and whenever a baby came in with cloth diapers I was the one to change them because I was the only one was confident with the pins. ;)

Jen said...

We love our Fuzzi Bunz!!! But I still use disposables at night..and on vacations:)