Thursday, August 12, 2010

Goodbye, Kan!



We host international students. We have now for the last two years. Through the months, we've had different nationalities and both genders. They've all been wonderful; caring and sweet with Amos and Flannery and helpful around the house.


Kan and Jum arrived last September and were only supposed to be here for 3 months. I thought I would not be able to care for students and a new baby. But through talking with them, we found out they would be here (in the US) for a year!! WOW!! I decided that I would find them another home, still, in December. Jum moved out after two months, to go live with her cousin but Kan stayed. She proved to be a breeze to live with, which was good because she ended staying with us until now. She learned how to cook her native Thai food and would add to our weekly grocery list the things she needed. She would empty the dishwasher or load it up and start it without being told. She kept in touch very well, sending me text messages to let me know of her plans. Her English was shakey at first, but has improved over time. And she's loved being with our kids. Amos has adopted her as a playmate and Flannery is the first baby she's ever held!
We're not super close but we've lived together in the same house for almost a year. She's been with us at such a monumental time for our family and in some ways, has made it better. I will miss having her around, as she's become more of a housemate and less of "our student."

No comments: