Friday, July 17, 2009

More interruptions...Remembering...

Today is July 17th, a day that in the past two years, has begun a week of remembering for me. It is the date that in 2006, began the week leading up to Amos' surprise birth.
On Monday, July 17th, 2006, I went to work as usual, after a particularly restful and relaxing weekend. After work, we went to our 30 week appointment with our midwife, Cindie, and found out that I had pretty high blood pressure. She also did a blood draw that would reveal a high TSH level from my thyroid.
I was asked to stay home from work for a few days, which was a real bummer, as that week I actually had things I was going to do and plan.
I spent the next few days at home and then went in again on Wednesday, the 19th. I still had high blood pressure, so I was put on medication. We decided to get the blood pressure in check and then look at my thyroid.
But we didn't have time. Amos came in the afternoon on Thursday, July 20th, a huge surprise and shock to us all. You can read his story in detail here.
His first weeks were really really tough. His first and second years were tough, but not as bad or hard as they could have been.
This last year with him has been great. We've been thankful for his good health and development; for his budding personality that grows more interesting and complex by the day; for the joy he brings us, and most of all, for the great gift that he is to us and the awesome opportunity and honor that we have as his parents, to go through life with him. He is so special and so wonderful and I'm thankful that God saw fit for my contractions to come as I was already on the way to the hospital so that he could be saved, literally in the nick of time.
He is a child of God--his life has purpose and meaning and I am so excited to continue to see what unfolds.

1 comment:

Momma Dog said...

It's always good to be reminded of God's goodness to you (and all of us who love you guys) in preserving Amos's precious life! Love you Sarah!
Hugs, Claire