Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A better day

Last night was tough, with Amos not going to sleep until after 11.
This morning, he was up early but fell asleep after getting in bed with us.
I awoke to hearing the garbage truck and hoped Amos wouldn't be woken up by it. He was and was so excited to watch it. So I put him on the floor and he raced into the bathroom, to the back window, stood on the scale and lifted up the blinds to watch the truck empty all of the trash cans in our alley. There are many, so it takes a few minutes. He came back in after the truck drove away and got back in bed. He was so cuddley--it reminds me of the days of sitting in the NICU, holding him, keeping him warm and letting him sleep.
Today was a good day. We got up late and were a bit behind when Christine, our physical therapist, arrived. She sat with us while Amos ate and we caught up on his skills. He's doing better with going up and down the stairs, is almost jumping and is enjoying his riding toys and bike.
When we got started, we rolled and threw the ball, kicked the ball, used a 2x4 as a balance beam and played with the stomping rocket toy. Amos is doing really well with stepping up onto shallow steps without holding on, but we need to go to a playground or other place that has small steps for him to practice on.
The exciting thing was that Christine felt like we had accomplished our goals and that she would be ok with therapy winding down or stopping. Amos is going to get his orthotics next week, to help support his feet and she'll want to see him after that a few times, but overall, he's walking, walking fast/running, squatting, improving his balance and overall has almost caught up to his age. I am so excited about that, as Amos has become really bored with therapy (both types!) and I think, needs to be out there, playing with friends and experiencing the terrain. She was very pleased with his progress, saying that she can't believe he's only been walking for four months. She also noted that he catches on well, as soon as you show him something.
So that was encouraging.
We took a trip to the new Fresh Market up the street from us, that feels like a Goose the Market (a little neighborhood fine grocery store around the corner from us) plus the look of a Whole Foods store. Amos liked looking at everything and it was a pleasant little jaunt.
Thankfully, he was in bed by 12:30 and was asleep. He had a great nap and I even got to rest a bit, too.
This afternoon, Nathan came home early and took the car for an oil change. He took Amos, too, giving me a much needed afternoon off. I think yesterday was so intense because I had Amos all day long from waking to sleeping and since he went to bed so late, it was a long day! Plus he didn't see Nathan much, so they had a great time together, looking at cars at the dealership and going to a furniture store to play.
Tonight we got him in bed by 9 which is doing pretty well.
One last thing: his cough has finally significantly decreased and he's had minimal medicine and breathing treatments last night and today. We are so thankful and hope that he remains on the mend. I have been giving him juice from our juicer (carrot and apple) and a green smoothy concoction that I made up with added green vitamin powder. I plan to keep giving him the juice and smoothy and hope it helps boost his immune system. He loves them both and asks for them regularly so I hope this works as we get closer to being in the fall and winter again.
Goodnight, for now.

No comments: